my grammar could hit the target from that distance

The revolution has begun. No longer will we put up with dodgy speeling, misplaced apostrophes' or improper; punctuation? P.S. pointing out bad grammar in postings is banned. To justify this I'm applying a form of grammatical 'absolute privilege', as the public interest in publishing mistakes far outweighs the cost to the public of making further mistakes. Call me a hypocrite if you will, but it works in Westminster.

Saturday, August 26, 2006

A bumper-ish update















Newport Road, Cardiff - good to hear the legal service has a good dating agency.






Somewhere on the A37. I think I'm being mocked by the anti-grammar police, I got stuck behind the same van a couple of days later.

Cardiff Bay. You can apologise all you like, there's no justification for this kind of thing.

St Mary Street, Cardiff. Mr Other clearly has a terrible tent.

9 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Perhaps we should start a campaign to teach signwriters how to spell properly...

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Robbie L said...

What do you suggest? Graffiti on offending signs? Or shall we just tear them down? Maybe a strongly worded letter would be better, I'm not much of a vigilante. The graffiti seems to have worked for the Welsh language people though. We could just start by adding the apostrophes to the thousands of signs along the lines of "St Johns Road". Vive le revolution.

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I was thinking more along the lines of an enforced module on the finer points of the English language while undergoing the painting apprenticeship...

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's three words.

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Three girls said...

Yesterday I realised a local shop near me called itself a 'new's agent'. Someone had realised and placed a large square of paper over the offending apostrophe. It was a different colour red to the rest of the sign though, and emphasised the mistake even more.

Points for trying, I suppose...

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Three girls said...

Oh, and a cafe next to Brighton station is advertising an offer on a bowel of chips. I did wonder why they were so cheap.

 
At 2:30 AM, Blogger Cat G said...

I see such errors every single day but can't contribute as my phone has decided it doesn't want to play anymore and any pictures I take aren't recognised on my computer as even being there. Otherwise I'd have had hundreds for you.

Why do street names (like Bishop's Avenue or King's Road) never ever have apostrophes? Are they above it or are the signs incapable of making them?

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Any fule kno it's a newsagent.

One word, no apostrophes.

It's not that hard, surely?

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Robbie L said...

We NEED a photo of the bowel of chips. It may be 11pm on Saturday night, but I'm truly tempted to get in the car and set my trusty satnav to Brighton Station. I reckon I could make it by daylight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home